Sunday, March 6, 2022

On This Day

 

Day 6 of the Slice of Life Story Challenge




Two major events happened on this day in history: Cyrano de Bergerac and Elizabeth Barrett Browning were both born on March 3. 

Browning wrote one of my favorite poems: "How Do I Love Thee." I remember reading this as a sophomore in high school and copying it in my diary. I just knew that one day I'd love a guy as much as Elizabeth did and when I gave him this poem, we'd be together forever. Needless to say, that's not how my life worked out. 😜

I teach the Edmond Rostand play, Cyrano de Bergerac - the play is about a romantic hero who was  not handsome, yet he loved a woman named Roxanne even though she was in love with a handsome guy named Christian. I love teaching the play in February when all the little kids are so love-struck and think they will never have the kind of love they want. Reading Cyrano lets me take them through a journey with love - and that we should tell people how we feel about them rather than letting life get away from us. It's always a fun unit to teach; the kids get so roped in with the love triangle among Cyrano, Roxanne, and Christian. 

Love must be my theme of the day! So I'm leaving both the Browning poem and the trailer for the Kevin Kline play as the lead in Cyrano. What are some brave love stories/peoms you've read or teach?








1 comment:

  1. I smile at the thought of your students' response to your teaching. Poetry has such a powerful way to captivate it's readers, young and old.

    ReplyDelete

How To End A Novel Study

  Today is day 15 of the Slice of Life Challenge. My class of juniors in the Advanced Placement Language & Composition class have finish...